Al Malpa Ephemera

ephemera

Campfield, Wood & Co. Coach Makers Business Card

Campfield, Wood & Co. Coach Makers Business Card

375.00

Coated, engraved business card for Campfield, Wood & Co & Tomlinson Wood Co.

Campfield, Wood & Co., 410 Broadway, New York and Tomlinson Wood Co., Bridgeport

S. [Stephen] Tomlinson, Bridgeport  [1804-1872]

David A. Wood, New York [1806-1874]

M. [Mahlon] Campfield, Newark [1799-1872]

Tomlinson, Wood & Company, an early Bridgeport builder of heavy carriages, was founded in 1828 by brothers Stephen and Russell Tomlinson and David A. Wood. Later, several of David’s brothers became involved with the firm and Tomlinson, Wood, & Co. became the most extensive carriage builders in Bridgeport. By the end of the 1840s, they had established a Manhattan “repository” in the old Apollo Hall at 410 Broadway. The 1850 US census reveals that the Woods had mostly relocated to Manhattan from Bridgeport.

In 1854 the Tomlinson brothers sold their share in Tomlinson, Wood & Company and organized two new firms - the Tomlinson Spring & Axle Co. and the Tomlinson Carriage Co. Both shops maintained a good relationship with the Wood Bros., who served as their exclusive New York City agents at 410 Broadway. [Information from Mark Theobald - Coachbuilt.com]

Mahlon Campfield was the son of Robert Campfield (called a “pioneer American carriage builder” 1770-1860). Mahlon also manufactured carriages, both in Newark and New York City.

On the lower right is “Lowe Sc” Two possible Lowe engravers were F. Lowe of New York (c 1838) or R. (Robert?) Lowe, a “commercial engraver” in New York c. 1851.

Excellent condition. Coated stock. Measures 3 5/8 x 2 1/2 inches.

#100

Add To Cart